WHO IS THIS INTERNSHIP FOR?
Students of gardening and open and landscape architecture schools.
TRAINING GOALS DESCRIPTION:
- Learning about cultivating and maintenance work in Andalusian gardens.
- Learning about the organisation of Alhambra or University gardens (knowing the staff and their functions, the tasks and responsibilities assigned to everyone, etc.).
- Improving language and social skills and cultural knowledge.
WHERE THE TRAINEES CAN DEVELOP THEIR SKILLS AND ACQUIRE THE NEW ONES?
Practical training will take place in one of the most prestigious Spanish gardens – Alhambra gardens and historical gardens of University of Granada.
SKILLS TO BE AQCUIRED DURING THE INTERNSHIP PERIOD:
- Cultivating and maintenance work in Andalusian gardens: cutting and clipping plants and hedges (Myrtus sp., Buxus sp., Rosa sp., flower plants), weeding, loosening the soil around plants, fertilizing, watering, raking leaves, cleanup work, placing organic waste in the composter.
- Plant production: removing plants from flower beds, preparing the ground for sowing and planting with a tiller; seeding (Begonia sp.), preparing seedlings for transplanting (Callendula officinalis).
- Maintenance work in theme gardens: removing weeds from flower beds, shaping hedges ( Buxus sp., Myrtus sp., Cupressus sp.) with garden shears; sanitary pruning of trees and shrubs (removing dead branches).
- Selecting the right method of planting ornamental plants, preparing soil for planting, planting into the ground and pots using proper tools and equipment.
- Using gardening tools and machines: hedge-clippers (manual, electric, petrol), tiller, shears, shovels, garden hoes, rakes, spades, wheelbarrows, wastebaskets and others.
- Ground works – preparing soil for planting and seeding (Rosa sp., Callendula sp.).
- Following workplace health and safety regulations: wearing protective clothes, gloves and boots, safety goggles, a hard hat, earplugs and a face shield or mask when it is required.
- Taking reasonable care for own health and safety and of those others who may be affected by performed work activities: coworkers or supervisors. Following supervisors’ orders. Anticipating dangers for human health, property and environment, in connection with performed work activities.
VOCATIONAL SKILLS UNIQUE FOR SPANISH CONDITIONS:
- Getting acquainted with new species of plants and herbs, typical for Andalusia: Arbutus unedo, Ficus carica, Olea europea, Cupressus sempervirens, Punica granatum, Diospyros kaki, Laurus nobilis, Myrthus communis., Cytrus. Trimming hedges (Cupressus sp., Myrtus sp., Buxus sp.) with electric hedge-clippers, using a tiller, drip irrigation system installation.
- Getting acquainted with Spanish landscape and climate conditions by means of undergoing vocational training in beautiful historical gardens of Alhambra, a palace and fortress complex which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
COMPLEMENTARY TRAINING PROGRAMME
Internships can be completed by professional visits – Botanic gardens in Sierra Nevada and more.