WHO IS THIS INTERNSHIP FOR?
Students of Agriculture and Agribusiness schools.
TRAINING GOALS DESCRIPTION:
- Learning about cultivating, work in the factory and on plantations of tropical fruits – mostly avocado and mango.
- High valued quality of this type of project and practice because of the unique opportunity to learn about tropical fruits, which cultivation is possible just in subtropical areas – Granada, Valencia and Málaga.
- Learning about the organisation of the leading company in export of tropical fruits to Europe (knowing the staff and their functions, the tasks and responsibilities assigned to everyone, etc.).
- Improving language and social skills and cultural knowledge.
WHERE THE TRAINEES CAN DEVELOP THEIR SKILLS AND ACQUIRE THE NEW ONES?
The main partner and practice company for our students is TROPS. TROPS is a leader company in the food industry with more than 36 years of experience. It´s an organization of producers of tropical fruit, international leader with presence in more than 30 countries around the world. Trops produces more than 30% of cultivated avocado in Spain, positioning itself as the first European producer of the Hass avocado variety. They also cultivate more than 50% of the production of mango in the entire country and kumquat and litchi are other tropical fruits they are working with.
Over 2300 farmers are united and engaged in natural process with their farming methods to ensure superior quality of avocados and mangos. Their farms and factories are located in the best subtropical area in the world – coastal strip of Málaga, Granada and Valencia. The main TROP’S objectives are business excellence, maximum innovation and professionalism.
Video about our main partner TROPS in English
Webpage with more information: www.trops.es
SKILLS TO BE AQCUIRED DURING THE INTERNSHIP PERIOD:
- Working in a typical farms and plantations of tropical fruits.
- Getting familiar with farming, creating and planning spaces, preserving and conserving nature.
- Developing an understanding of the agricultural business processes, planting, plant protection, irrigation, soil enrichment practices, nutrition management production plans.
- Working in greenhouses.
- Picking mango and avocado.
- Learning about system of irrigation of the plants.
- Pruning and grafting of avocado and mango.
- Independent working and taking responsibility of the work.
- Learning about machinery used in tropical fruits factory.
- Investigation about tropical fruits.
- Knowledge about the creation of other products – guacamole, avocado gazpacho and more.
- Workshop and seminar about commercial relationships of the company.
- Learning about the organization and hierarchical structure of the company – visit of different departments (meeting the staff and familiarizing themselves with their routinely tasks and responsibilities).
- Identifying the different tools and processes used within the commercial sector and associating the relevant Spanish terms with the equivalent in their mother tongue.
COMPLEMENTARY TRAINING PROGRAMME
Internships can be completed by professional visits – different farms and other agribusiness companies and factories.